Tuesday, December 07, 2004

memories...

I'm finally back into watching movies on Netflix, after having taken about a three month hiatus. I keep telling myself that those months when I've watched 8-10 movies make up for the 0 movie months... but I know that the 0 movie months are what keeps the company in business. Anyway, not the point. The point was that I watched "Family Man" tonight, and it had a couple of references to 1987. That was the start of my freshman year of high school. At least I remember that. But what worries me is that I really don't remember that much else about it. A few of my high school friends and I were talking about those days a little while ago, and they were telling me stories (in which I was heavily involved) that I have absolutely no recollection of. One in which my best friend gave my a mylar balloon for my birthday, then we were sitting in AP US history class and one of the boys was throwing things at it and managed to pop it. Rings NO bells whatsoever. I can't remember what my schedule was, I don't remember a lot of my teachers... yet other people can rattle these things off as if it were just yesterday. So I've decided that this blog is a really good thing - it'll help me keep track of what's going on in my life, if nothing else.

I was in a car accident in December of '94. I had graduated in June of that year, and started teaching at a Catholic girl's school, still in Baltimore where I had been at JHU, and I decided to splurge and buy my first car. I had fallen in love with convertibles, and borrowed some money from my parents to buy a Miata. What a fun car! Got that in August of '94. In December, I was out on a Friday night, dropping a friend off at her Aunt's house, before heading home to a holiday party we were hosting. Never made it. It was raining, and as I was driving through an underpass, the road curved, but I apparently skidded and kept going straight. Into oncoming traffic. Totalled my car, the first car I hit, and did $5K worth of damage to a third car. Ended up in the hospital with a broken collar bone, stiches next to my eye (from the glass, I assume), and a wicked concussion. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't been wearing my seatbelt I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale, based on the force from the seatbelt having broken my collar bone... Anyway, the whole point was that my memory hasn't been the same since. I actually went to see a neurologist a few weeks after the accident because I had become way more forgetful than I had been before, but he (she?) didn't find anything. So now I feel like I have big chunks of my life that are missing. So forgive me if I ramble on with tales from the past every now and then - I'm kinda hoping that if I write some of the stuff I'd like to remember down it'll help keep it from slipping away.

Girl trouble update - I'm now on estrogen, which will be followed by progesterone, in an attempt to actually get my period. Doc called yesterday and said that she had been talking with an endocrinologist in an attempt to figure out what might be wrong... she wants me to have an MRI of my head to rule out the possibility that some kind of growth might be causing it. She said not to worry as it's highly unlikely, so I'm trying to be calm about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home